HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Aug 2007 20:46:58 -0400
I know Huguenot settled in New Rochelle just outside New York City but
as far as I know no specific excavations have been done there. Part of
the problem was the lands purchased, much of it was either rock or
marsh.

I saw on C-Span that Benjamin Rush "American physician, politician,
and educator. A signer of the Declaration of Independence, he promoted
the abolition of slavery and the humane treatment of the mentally
handicapped" lived across the way from Thomas Paine author of  "Common
Sense" and other writings and a supporter of the American and the
French revolutions, lived in New Rochelle, NY settled by Huguenots.
I've been outside Thomas Paine's house.