HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carol Serr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Aug 2007 13:58:37 -0700
While that is a good basic source...it doesn't illustrate the many
variances in shoe sizes, types, etc.  I don't think the IMACS info
addresses the 'clips' (I don't know the terminology) at the toe or heel
either.   I have a small collection of 5 shoes (from a large dump
collection - U.S. Grant Jr's summer home refuse)...and only 2 are
alike....so I too could use a good, illustrative source.
But the IMACS info is a good place to start....for many types of
artifacts.

Altho...my boss wouldn't see any point in measuring them....apparently.
He is asking WHY I am measuring items...like bottles, etc. !!!! (since
he thinks it takes too much Time; and time is $ - which, for this
project [like SO many] there is a big lack of).
Doesn't everyone measure the whole dimensions?  Tho, that wasn't an
adequate answer to give him.   He wants to know WHAT these measurements
will TELL him...for his report.  He sounds like the darn cheapskate
client who doesn't want to pay much to deal with the collection.
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

His (boss's) rationale for my not going in to so much Detail (IOW,
spending Less time) in the catalog is..."any future researcher wont
trust Your [anyone elses] data - they will want to Look at the bottles
[whatever] themselves, take their own measurements, etc."

Well...just how many of us have the luxury of actually going to Where
the collection is...and spending the time to look thru everything?
Wouldn't reviewing the original catalog of the items suffice (in most
cases)?  Unless...the catalog was inadequate, since the analyst didn't
include...measurements, or other important attributes.

Sorry...just had to vent.  If you reply to this tangent, please Change
the subject line...so it doesn't continue to be Horsehoes, and mislead
those who only want to find out about them.

Carol Serr
San Diego, Calif.