HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Marty Pickands <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2007 12:45:16 -0400
Ron-

Splitting hairs is what discussions of terminology are all about!

That's interesting about "deflated" middens. I am assuming you mean
"blown out" rather than just thin. Is this one of those sites that's all
on the surface? That's analogous to having an entire site excavated at
close interval here back east where green stuff grows on top of our
sites. What I was saying is that we seldom have the opportunity to do
that much digging, especially during site reconnaissance.

At that level of testing, the overall sheet refuse on a site will
appear featureless, in much the same way your deflated site appears to
you at 6'1" . If you can see the big picture (dig more intensively, or
samle the artifacts at intervals), the sheet refuse will resolve into
features, for instance a series of identifiable thick midden features
trailing off to sheet scatter in all directions. Within the sheet
scatter between them would probably be areas (detectable by a
close-interval grid of excavations) that could be described as thin
midden features related to different functions or times of deposition.
Much of the sheet refuse area, however, would still be "noise," due to
the sparsity of artifacts. Of course, you would probably also be able to
see areas of absence that could be identified as traffic features:
doorways of structures, pathways between, etc.

With privies and wells: again I think it's a matter of content. Don't
most abandoned privies, if they contain actual privy deposits at all,
also contain midden deposits as in-fill? I think one problem is that we
tend to confuse the form of the deposit with the type of deposit. Just
because it's in a privy sump doesn't mean it's a privy deposit ("night
soil").

David-

That's very interesting. It must be a regional usage,  because at least
in the northeasten U.S., the term "midden"  is completely obsolete. A
"dustbin" is called a "trash can" or "garbage can" and there is no term
equivalent to your use of the word "midden," nor, as far as I am aware,
"close." To my mother a dustbin was an "ash can" because of the
prevalence of coal ash in household refuse in her generation.

How do you define the term "midden" in your archaeological practice?
I'm guessing there will be regional differences there, too.

I just looked around me and thought of a different type of midden: the
desktop midden. No dirt here... just coffee cups. Ron already mentioned
the "office floor midden."

Martin Pickands
New York State Museum

>>> [log in to unmask] 3/24/2007 3:12 AM >>>

In a message dated 3/23/2007 11:58:47 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,