HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"King, Julia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Mar 2007 22:30:11 -0400
Dear HISTARCHers,

I am working on a project, part of a larger project organized by Lynne Sebastian, that is attempting to measure the nature of the dissemination of "what we have learned" about the past.

For my particular focus, I am interested in two related topics: (1) the challenges of creating access to archaeological data and reports and (2) the challenges of producing usable synthetic studies.

I think I know the challenges in my little corner of the world, but I wonder if my experiences and perceptions are typical.  I turn to you for your expertise and help.

What would you recommend for meeting the challenges of creating access?  What exactly do you see as the challenges for creating accessibility to both information (data) and interpretation (the larger findings promised by synthetic or comparative studies)?  Have you seen great successes? miserable failures?  Are there structural impediments to such efforts?  How does the digital delivery of information play into this, and what specific challenges exist with electronic delivery?  Are there other related questions that need to be posed?

I will take what I learn from these responses and from colleagues on other listserves to prepare a paper about these two topics and all assistance will be acknowledged.

Please feel free to respond either on or off list.  My direct email is [log in to unmask]

Thanks!

Julie King