HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Andy Sewell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Sep 2006 14:33:52 -0400
Hi, I'm Andy Sewell, and I'm a principal investigator for a small
CRM/architecture firm in Columbus, Ohio. I'm a historical archaeologist who
specializes in industrial archaeology - just wish more of our projects
actually involved my specialty. Lately I've been up to my armpits in
Shakers.

Dirtiest moment: the one that springs to mind was from my field school
during my master's work at Michigan Technological University, at the Carp
River Forge in Negaunee, Michigan. I was digging a unit that was mainly
composed of crushed iron ore and wood charcoal. At the end of the day, I
looked like someone in a cartoon that just had a stick of dynamite go off in
their face.

Clothing: steel-toe work boots that cover your ankles, carhartt-type work
pants, sturdy belt with my Marshalltown trowel sheath and leatherman case,
any one of my fieldwork sacrificed t-shirts (the ones with permanent dirt
stains that I can get really dirty), tough but comfortable gloves, and a hat
that shades your ears. That's in good weather of course.

Andrew R. Sewell, MS, RPA

Principal Investigator

Historical/Industrial Archaeology

Hardlines Design Company