HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
J Symonds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Sep 2006 23:00:58 +0100
Hi Iain,

Eleanor Conlin Casella and I have recently explored this issue in our edited
Springer volume Industrial Archaeology:New Directions. The volume argues for a
social archaeology of industrialization. A common theme in this volume is that
that the physical recording of machines and industrial processes is not
enough.

james

Quoting Iain Stuart <[log in to unmask]>:

> Industrial Archaeology vs. Industrial Heritage
>
> Anyone noticed how we are loosing industrial archaeology to the grab bag
> term “heritage”? Any idea why?
>
> I seem to recall that when it was discovered that industrial archaeologists
> were found to be doing history, archaeology, engineering etc it was deemed
> that it must be “heritage “ rather than “archaeology” But don’t historical
> archaeologist do much the same thing??
>
> Is it important that we keep the term industrial archaeology?
>
> Yours,
>

> Dr Iain Stuart
>
> JCIS Consultants
>
> P.O. Box 2397
>
> Burwood North,
>
> NSW   2124
>

> ph/fx  (02)  97010191
>

> HYPERLINK "mailto:[log in to unmask]"[log in to unmask]
>

> HYPERLINK "mailto:[log in to unmask]"[log in to unmask]
>

> See our web page at HYPERLINK "http://www.jcis.net.au"www.jcis.net.au
>

> --

James Symonds
Director
Archaeological Research & Consultancy at the Univeristy of Sheffield
West Court
2 Mappin Street
Sheffield S1 4DT
UK