HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Meli Diamanti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Sep 2006 15:48:36 -0400
Ok, I've been a mostly silent lurker on this list for several years, so
maybe it's time to introduce myself.
Since 1991, I have been an archaeologist in a CRM firm base din
Pennsylvania.  The only real trouble I had in shifting from the world of
Academia to the real world of contract archaeology was in keeping on
schedule and meeting deadlines.
Ever since high school, I've known I wanted to be an archaeologist.  At
first i was interested in ancient Greece.  I didn't find it all that
satisfying, but didn't figure out why until I stumbled into New World
archaeology, which was also the New Archaeology in the 1970s.  Then I
realized the Old World archaeology was unsatisfactory because it was
only seen as the handmaiden of history.  In the New World, we weren't
restricted by what was known from documents (very little) and I felt it
was like an early explorer wanting to fill in the blank spots on the map
- so many new areas to explore instead of just using archaeology to
confirm what's already known.
So I got my Ph.D. in Mesoamerican Archaeology, with a little experience
in Pennsylvnaia prehistory on the side.  But I could see that I was
going to have a very tough time finding an academic position.
I lucked into a position in a CRM firm that had an opening and managed
to learn on the job - both because I had good teachers in the company
and because I had a good general education, not one tailored too
narrowly.  Technically, my job only requires an M.A. degree, but I feel
that the experience in researching/writing a dissertation was good
training for the research I've done in this job.
On this list I've seen some opinions that only those properly trained in
"Historic Archaeology" should be excavating historic sites, but I'm a
supporter of real-life (on the job) training.  If you know how to
research a subject, you can figure out what you need to know and who to
learn it from.  So I do both historic and prehistoric archaeology and
try to keep up with the literature in both fields, but play catch-up
when a particular topic comes up as an issue that I may not be current on.
Unlike many people in my field, I have been working for the same CRM
firm since I started in 1991.  After a childhhood that invovled a lot of
moving from country to country (Dad was a diplomat), I find I have set
down roots and am reluctant to move.  And I have been successful in a
career that requires both writing and numbers skills, despite having
Dyslexia to a certain degree.  I just have give spelling my best guess,
use spell check, and always check my numbers twice.

Well, that's the basic "who are you?"
As for the dirtiest ... - I won't even try to answer that question.  My
"worst" field experiences involve either poison ivy in Pennsylvania or
snakes in the excavation pits in Honduras, not dirt.
As for how to dress?  In this non-tropical climate I am rarely warm
enough, so I say any clothing that will keep me warm enough and still be
able to wash the dirt off.  Also, in a land of avid hunters, it is
always wise to wear bright orange, NOT camoflage.

Melissa Diamanti
Archaeolgoical & Historical Consutants, Inc.