HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Richard Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Sep 2006 06:58:20 +1000
Unfortunately it is all to easy to get Google to come up with a plethora of cites on suicides and cross roads etc..

My original request was for a lead through this plethora, if that is a proper metaphor.

The lead needs to be highly specific - digging suicides up and depositing them in museums. The background literature suggested to me that 1842 was a bit late for a suicide to have been buried at the cross roads and thus be a target for unauthorized exhumation.

Whitney Sprague cited a lead to Barbara Gates' _Victorian Suicide_, which I have not seen and I shall follow that lead.

I rather think my request will slip under the radar but am wondering whether there are any museum curators who monitor this list, have come across the skeletons of suicides in boxes and wondered why and when they got to their museum.