HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Ryan Gray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Sep 2006 13:19:08 -0700
Kent and company,

Another ranking system for occupations occurs in:

Hershberg, Theodore
1973	Free Blacks in Antebellum Philadephia.  In The
Peoples of Philadelphia: A History of Ethnic Groups
and Lower-Class Life, 1700-1940, edited by Allen Davis
and Mark Haller, pp.111-133.  Temple University Press,
Philadelphia.

However, I would also reiterate Bill Lockhart's
warning about taking census occupations at face value.
I have been working on a study of the 1850 New Orleans
census, cross-referenced with the City Directory,
newspapers, etc. While the "Merchant" category is
often regarded as a high-status occupation, I have
been finding whole flophouse boarding houses full of
23-year-olds from Kentucky or Ireland (and who also
show up in the papers as 'notorious characters' or
'incorrigible vagrants'), who are identified as being
"merchants", just to name one example. Of course, some
interesting discussions of identity that come out of
this...

Ryan Gray
Earth Search, Inc.
New Orleans, Louisiana