HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Davis, Daniel (KYTC)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Sep 2006 08:50:51 -0400
Is that an open offer? By the way, Googling slag, coke, and clinkers
brings up an interesting collections of webpages with definitions of
each and the types of furnaces that may produce them. Still, there's no
substitute for the knowledge of an old hand in the business - provided
there's any left. The steel industry in Kentucky started in the early
1800s and was largely gone by the end of the nineteenth century. I think
we've got one "mini-mill" left, up on the Ohio.

Daniel B. Davis
Archaeologist Coordinator
Kentucky Transportation Cabinet
Division of Environmental Analysis