HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 2006 17:28:33 -0400
Perhaps there are other reasons archaeologists fail to consider the
magico-spiritual implications of concealments. First, archaeologists tend to  believe
their work only deals with the"anthropology of a past" (not in  modern
American cities). Second, some archaeologists may allow their personal  Christian
beliefs overpower their rationale scientific observations (abject bias  against
other religious beliefs). Third, some Judeo-Christian archaeologists may  fear
anything tainted with what their religious belief associates with "the  devil"
(the fear factor) or might prevent them from entering heaven (for simply
thinking of such things) upon death. Fourth, some archaeologists are just plain
ethnocentric and reject the beliefs of others as "superstitious" (implying the
 only "true" religion is their own). I have seen all these problems interfere
 with open-minded data recording and fair objective description of what
people  see. Why, just the other day I had a conversation with a San Francisco
archaeologist who blew-off a dried cat from inside a wall as "just a dead cat"
(complete rejection of any cultural explanation) and belief in magic as
superstition (a failure to accept that other people in the 20th century might  have
believed in old family traditions). What a shame some archaeologists hang  up
their "anthropology mantle" when they don their trowel and notepad.

Just for reference, I recommend reading the following source:

Greenwood, Susan
2000 Magic, Witchcraft and the Otherworld; An Anthropology.  Oxford: Berg
Press. ISBN I 85973 450 2 (paper).

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.
_www.legacy106.com_ (http://www.legacy106.com)