HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carl Steen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Aug 2006 07:20:59 -0400

In a message dated 8/24/2006 10:04:50 PM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Oh come  now, Carl, surely you recognize that you are "standing" in a room
full of anthropologists? Of course we are going to have open minds to  the
religious beliefs of other people. Funny you should get so hot  under the
collar
about the word "hoodoo" and then refer to African  religion as nonsense.

Ron May

Hey Ron, I'm not referring to any religion as nonsense (though anyone who
has diffrent beliefs in that regard than me is clearly deluded), but rather to
the assertion of fact in this statement:

"bowls  or  some other covering marked with a West African  symbol  for
the  cosmos."

This cache of artifacts in Maryland wasn't concealed by a bowl as far as I
can recall, and the symbols he referred to have not been proven to be African
or  "cosmological". And the association of Africans with the cache is
completely  inferential to begin with....

Carl