HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carl Steen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Aug 2006 07:13:29 -0400

Thanks Carol for the thoughtful response. I'm glad to see HISTARCH actually
serving its purpose of making people think and stimulating them to share
ideas.  I don't mean to dismiss the hard work of everyone who believes as you do,
but I  still have to say that as far as I can tell these are largely faith
based  beliefs. In archaeology we are at a disadvantage. We can't contact the
people who used symbols and ask what they mean by them. We are forced to  make
inferential arguments and adjust them as better information comes to light.
Allison Wylie said years ago that archaeology was more "scientistic" than
scientific, and I agree. But that doesn't mean we can just abandon logic.  Speaking
for myself, I see two stronger arguments being dismissed in favor of a  third,
weak argument. So again, I'm willing to listen, but lets see some hard  facts
in favor of this interpretation. Most of what I have seen consists of
researcher A referring to researcher B, who refers to C, who cites something  like
"One scholar I read said "Africans didn't convert to Christianity -- they
converted Christianity to themselves" and accepts it as fact without asking  where
the assertion came from to begin with, or whether it is valid. If recent
research that I may not have seen has come to light which stands as proof of
your interpretation please give me the references and I will reconsider my
position.

Carl

PS: regarding your final points about keeping an open mind and working from
a position of knowledge to interpret the evidence. In support of what you have
 said, on the opposite end of this whole argument I have noticed that CRM
archaeologists working in the heartland of Gullah culture in South Carolina can
survey whole plantations and excavate both slave and freedmen's settlements
without ever even mentioning the word "Gullah" or showing any knowledge of
African American anthropology.....

In a message dated 8/24/2006 6:19:45 PM Eastern Standard Time,