HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Kristi Benson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jun 2006 09:42:03 -0600
I have tried rubbersheeting historical maps and had similar successes
and problems - at times it seemed like different portions of the maps
were created separately (and using different declinations) and then
glued together.  However, it was pretty interesting and did help the
project a lot.

When I was in school taking a GIS diploma, we all had to do big
projects with real data, and I know many of us were unsuccessful in
finding a project that interested us and related to our previous
studies.  So, there may be students at a local technical institute
who are looking for projects, if you have the data and time to spare.
 Just a thought - I don't know if this is for a contract or research
or anything so I'm not sure if you could use volunteer labour.

Kristi

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]> writes:
>I was wondering whether anyone has some ideas on rubbersheeting, the
>overlaying on two (historical) plans on each other and adjusting to
>make the
>best fit. I know this is done by high level GIS programs but I was
>wondering
>whether anyone has some ideas on how to do this that doesn't involve
>me
>buying Arch View!
>

>yours
>

>Dr Iain Stuart
>

>JCIS Consultants
>

>P.O. Box 2397
>

>Burwood North
>

>NSW 2134
>

>ph/fax 97010191
>

>iain.stuart@bigpond .com

Kristi Benson
Researcher, Gwich'in Social & Cultural Institute
Main Floor, 151 Mackenzie Road  PO Box 2553
Inuvik, NT X0E 0T0
867-777-5965 /  867-777-5994
www.gwichin.ca