HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
James Brothers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Apr 2006 10:48:47 -0400
Again the best place to start is Robert Gordon's American Iron. It is
available in paperback, or used (?) in hard cover. If you can lay
hands on a copy of Wm. Rostocker and Bennet Bronson's Pre-Industrial
Iron: Its Technology and Ethnology (1990 and unfortunately out of
print) it is excellent, but more worldwide and historical. The best
historical reference is John Percy's Metallurgy: Iron and Steel (1864
and still used today). Again a bit difficult to get, inter library
loan works. But if you are dealing with a mid 19C site Percy may well
have a plan and detailed description of its operation. Avoid
Frederick Overman, except for his book on foundries or for pictures.
Overman was a foundryman and didn't entirely understand the other
processes. For most modern sources keep in mind the author's
background and training. While many historians, for example, are
really good at dealing with archives they are not technologists. The
same is true of ethnologists, archaeologists, geneologists, etc.

The chemistry of slag is pretty complicated, I'll have to think about
sources for that (I still can't understand many phase diagrams).
Adding to the complication is that very few archaeologists bother to
do slag analysis, beyond visual (which often is not much better than
"Thats nasty and its such an unattractive color" ;-)). So the studies
tend to be rather specialized and by  chemists, physicists, or
archaeometallurgists. As a result they are of limited use to an
archaeologist.

English Heritage has a number of publications available for free
download, but their index is a bit archane (try http://www.english-
heritage.org.uk/server/show/nav.1634 and use the search box for
specific topics) . The CFA archaeometallurgy guide (about 2.5M) is
quite good.

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/upload/pdf/cfa_archaeometallurgy2.pdf