HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Joe Roberts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Apr 2006 19:31:37 -0400
I just looked into best practice for archival CD and the word seems to be Taiyo Yuden Made in Japan gold CDs.

These are commonly available branded as Maxell CD-R PRO (make sure they are the "PRO" type). Make sure they say "Made in Japan"--but all Maxell CD-R Pros I've seen are Japanese manufacture.

They are only marginally more expensive than the low grade junk, i.e. spindle of 25 for $15.

I had several hundred CDs commercially duplicated about a year and a half ago and, even though stored under reasonable conditions, 50-60% of them have developed read errors.

Hope this helps,
Joe Roberts