Reply To:
HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 2006 14:23:41 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (33 lines)
Among Civil War relic hunters, there are reasons why a CSA button goes for $700 and a Federal eagle button is $9. Relic hunting enacts deeply-felt notions of identity and patriotism. Digging is a powerfully meaningful activity for those who dig.

For hardcore relic hunters, more than money is involved. These guys will slave in the mud and poison ivy for eight hours and be overjoyed to find a few blobs of camp lead and a bent knapsack hook. Digging is about heritage.

Most of the time, metal detecting is not a real profitable hobby. 99.9% of the finds would be hard to sell for a dollar. Many hunters do not sell their relics--they are holy items. I look deeper for the motivation to relic hunt and the source of the value attached to artifacts. 

In his 'Heritage Wars' discussion, Lowenthal makes the point that for the pluralistic west, universal access to heritage is construed as an INDIVIDUAL right.

The anti-metal detecting stance of archaeology is viewed by relic hunters as instance of Lowenthal's "tribalistic" or political claims that exclude others in such a way that "those who are not privy to the inside knowledge must accept the authority of those persons who are privy, and the wisdom of the restrictions."

In some parts of the USA, the very concept of patriotism is phrased as a battle of individual rights versus elite/big money/government control. Did I mention I lived in Texas for 13 years? Archaeology, in certain circles, is viewed as an agent of elite control.

It is interesting that relic hunters commonly believe that relics on public land belong to everybody, because its PUBLIC, so they can go out and retrieve a few at will. We respond legalistically: "You can't do that! Relics on public land belong to everybody." 

Here is a total disconnect on philosophies of individual vs. corporate rights. Gut-level politics. The loud call for restrictive legislation and exclusive access, particularly when sacred individual property rights are at risk, VALIDATES the relic hunters' conceptions of archaeologists as part of the Federal power/control grab and gives moral fuel to their passion. 

IF part of our goal is to work with and educate relic hunters, and I think it should be, we need to meet on common ground. 

History, value of the past, best use of archaeological resources, and sharing our findings--these are talking points. Campaigns for property rights restrictions are "fighting words"--a recipe for stalemate. Full-out Heritage Warfare.

Discouraging tales of greed and destruction abound, but part of the message there is that archaeology needs better public relations--with the people as well as with lawmakers.

It's the long road, but I believe that if archaeologists' leading gesture were to better explain and teach how we see things and share what we know-- public archaeology --we can make allies rather than enemies. Doors have to be open before  our vital message can be delivered.

Certainly, consideration of legislative reform should continue but we must not neglect the postitive potential of our role as stewards of knowledge in promoting dialogue, encouraging education, and contributing to public enlightenment.

I know a number of relic hunters back in Texas. When relic hunters and archaeologists meet in unguarded social situations --at club meetings, in the field, at the saloon--the discussion turns to history and places, the wonder of the past. For a few minutes, it can seem like we're all good folks heading in a similar direction.

We should build on that shared ground as part of our struggle against destruction of cultural resources.

Joe Roberts
[log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2