HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
JAMES MURPHY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 2006 15:10:57 -0500
Checking Ohio letterheads and billheads, the term "queensware" is invariably qualified as in "Rockingham, Yellow, and Variegated Queensware," emphasizing George Miller's point.  In East Liverpool, some potteries would use Rockingham and Yellow Queensware at the same time others would use Rockingham and Yellow Ware.  In Akron, Whitmore Robinson used Rockingham and Yellow Ware but its successor, used Rockingham and Yellow ware.  Interestingly, the Akron Queensware Co. in 1892 was making only Iron stone China and Decorated Ware (white earthenware or semi-vitreous china)and in 1901 the American Queensware Co. of East Liverpool manufactured only "fine semi-porcelainand decorated ware."

Jim Murphy