HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Tue, 14 Mar 2006 13:26:15 -0500
During the 1968 Royal Presidio Field School in San Diego, the San Diego
Union ran a feature story of Paul H. Ezell's discovery of the former  Catholic
cemetery at the 1782 chapel. The following week people swarmed inside  the dig
site at night messing up the graves and causing mayhem with the  archaeology. Ez
ell asked about six archaeology students to sit on the site at  night until he
could get security fencing and alarms out there. I got the shift  from 11 pm
to 7 am and chased off gangs of kids all night long. Newspaper editor  Neil
Morgan got wind of the story and did an editorial which branded us the  "Ghost
Guard" and the following day I drew a cute little cartoon in my field  journal
that people still comment on in the archives at San Diego State  University.
But the message was clear, it was stupid (STOOOOPID) to publish a  story about
an exposed cemetery.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.