HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Sun, 5 Mar 2006 12:06:21 -0500
William,

Although others in this room will address landscape archaeology, I suggest
that you review literature and contemporary thinking concerning "cultural
landscape" in historic preservation work. This concept has its roots in several
public policy areas. First, federal laws concerning the protection of waterways
 span back before the American Revolution and carried through protection of
commerce rights as real property ownership rights developed. Second, the
concept  of public parklands within urban areas probably had several roots in the
various  ethnic origins of 18th century colonies that evolved into our cities
in the 19th  century. Third, the City Beautiful Movement coincided with the
Arts &  Crafts Movement across America and various government bodies fought
pitched  battles with real estate rights advocates regarding development of open
space as  a part of destination resorts for health, meditation, and social
events. The  Progressive Movement carried these concepts well into the teens of the
20th  century, but World War I put a dampener on deveopment of open space, as
did a  nationwide building boom that coincided with public access to
automobiles during  the 1920s. The early part of the Great Depression suppressed
development of open  spaces, but the New Deal and various federal programs to find
work for the  unemployed injected new life to open space development in
cities, school  districts, water districts, federal parks and the like. Finally, an
extension of  water rights easements developed into dedicated open space
easements in the last  quarter of the 20th century to mitigate adverse effects of
real estate  development. There is a large body of literature on open space and
urban  planning from this era, including some federal National Park papers on
 easements. Most of the open space areas protected by federal, state, and
local laws today contain archaeological resources.

I hope this little outline can be of use.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.