HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jan 2006 10:09:23 -0500
That reminds me of my grandmother working at making transfer print one
of her jobs, Mary Martha McEntee, in New York City I think. This book
has very good info on the copperplate process that engravers had to
make the pattern and how it was applied and what firms were involved
with the British firms after the almost simultaneous production of
Liverpool transfers and the American Revolutionary War, cherished in
many homes depicting on a "yelloware" (or "creamware) brown or almost
black patterns commemorating American values which grew into the "blue
china" trade. However there's no reference that I could find to
American engravers, perhaps.

"The Blue China Book: Early American Scenes And History Pictured In
The Pottery Of The Time 200 Illustrations", Ada Walker Camehl, with a
new introduction by Geoffrey Godden author of encyclopedia of British
Pottery and Porcelain Marks. c) 1971 by Geoffrey Godden. ISBN
0-486-22749-9 Dover Publications, 180 Varick St., NY, NY. First
published in 1916.

It was given to me as a gift, from one of the museums in NY, by a
woman who once helped inventory Eleanor Roosevelt's collection of
artifacts she acquired in her travels, and worked at the former US
Assay Office site in lower east side Manhattan.

George Myers