HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carol Serr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Nov 2005 12:25:25 -0800
Hi Marty,

I don't know anything about such targets either...but, you might want to
check with the Holey Tokens & Coins Collectors Club...since some of them
surely have encountered these. ??
http://www.geocities.com/RodeoDrive/Mall/2326/
Or send an email to:  [log in to unmask]

Even tho, as I understood your description...I didn't think the 'target'
had a hole in it to begin with...only a circled area in the center.
Right?

I found this bit of info interesting:

This expression "bulls eye" derives from an old English sport,
bullbaiting dogs try to pull a bull by his nose to the ground. Gamblers
would place a bet "on the bull's eye" if he wished to make a bet.
Crowns, an English coin, were used to bet so frequently "on the bull's
eye that the coin itself came to be called a bull's-eye. Later, the term
was applied to the black center of a target. The idiom right on the
money is also derived from the ancient interchangeable use of a coin,
bull's-eye and the center of a target.
http://sportsidioms.com/page/14.htm

You might check out this trapshooting site...and contact someone from
there.
http://huntingsociety.org/HistTrapshooting.html

Good luck.

Carol