HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Stephen Silliman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Nov 2005 19:45:40 -0500
Cheryl,

I would recommend taking a look at Chapter 3 ("'It is my history, not
yours that I propose to tell': History as autobiography in Mariano G.
Vallejo's 'Recuerdos historicos y personales tocante a la alta
California'") in Genaro Padilla's 1993 book My History, Not Yours: The
Formation of Mexican American Autobiography for an interesting
interpretation of this situation.  The chapter focuses, in part, on
Bancroft's and Cerruti's negotiations with Vallejo to obtain his papers
and his own narrative (five volumes!) of California history, but then
their selective use of his papers and their commitment to leaving
Vallejo's narrative unpublished while Bancroft published the "official
history."  Bancroft says this in Literary Industries (as quoted by
Padilla):  "It was understood from the first that this history was for
my sole use, not to be printed unless I should so elect, and this was
not at all probable."

Chapter 1, another section of Padilla's book worth looking at closely,
also quotes Vallejo as having written his Recuerdos to counteract the
American versions of California's history.  He writes to his son:  "I
shall not stop moistening my pen in the blood of our unfounded
detractors . . . . You know I am not vindictive but I am and was born
hispano.  To contradict those who slander is not vengeance, it is to
regain a loss".  Padilla describes Vallejo's writing as "a deliberate
act of historiographic preemption."

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Steve

Stephen W. Silliman, Ph.D.

Assistant Professor

Graduate Program Director, Historical Archaeology M.A. Program

Department of Anthropology

University of Massachusetts, Boston

100 Morrissey Blvd

Boston, MA 02125-3393