HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 20 Oct 2005 11:52:12 -0700
Friends and colleagues: Computer-generated 3D animation, which now has come
of age, can recreate for us worlds that are long past.  We invite you to
travel back in time to the eastern Mediterranean world of the 2nd Century BC
in The House of Hermogenes, the latest video feature on our nonprofit
streaming-media Web site, The Archaeology Channel
(http://www.archaeologychannel.org).

In 146 BC, just as Corinth is set ablaze by the Romans, Hermogenes, a young
architect from Priene in Asia Minor, goes back to his home city to study the
city-planning of Pytheos and especially to visit the old house of his
ancestors before it is torn down.  This film, produced by the Foundation of
the Hellenic World, is a 3D animated reconstruction of the city and that
house, which is typical of its time.  The reconstruction, based on the
research of Dr. Wolfram Hoepfner, demonstrates the arrangement and
functionality of a Classical Period residence.

This and other programs are available on TAC for your use and enjoyment.  We
urge you to support this public service by participating in our Membership
(http://www.archaeologychannel.org/member.html) and Underwriting
(http://www.archaeologychannel.org/sponsor.shtml) programs.  Only with your
help can we continue and enhance this nonprofit public-education and
visitor-supported service.  We also welcome new content partners as we reach
out to the world community.

Please forward this message to others who may be interested and let us know
if you wish to be removed from our mailing list.

Richard M. Pettigrew, Ph.D., RPA
President and Executive Director
Archaeological Legacy Institute
http://www.archaeologychannel.org