HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Sun, 25 Sep 2005 10:39:40 -0400
Tim T.,

Let me provide you with an example of suppression of facts. Oh, and for the
HISTARCH on-topic crowd, when surveying China Lake (California) back in
1970-1979, we found piles of borax and salts collected by historic people for
commercial harvesting. But, we also found fragments of mammoth bones, camel bones,
and other mammals that concentrated near hard indurated mounds. G.I. Smith,
U.S.G.S. geologist, interpretted the east shoreline suffered a catastrophic
seismic event that dropped at the northeast about 2 meters. The eastern shoreline
ripped about a mile south as lake waters plunged east into another basin. The
hypothesis at the time had that the rushing waters stripped away softer lake
shore soils, but the velocity slowed further south as the water got more shallow.
On a mega-scale, we found enormous sand ripples like you feel under your feet
in a strream bed. The high densities of bone coincided with flaked basalt,
chalcedony, chert and obsidian. Smith and Emma Lou Davis selected one low mound
surrounded by high densities of bone and flaked stone as a place to hand-cut a
trench. As one of the laborers cutting that trench, I know from observation
that the bone bed underlay a cemented lacustrine gravel lens. Among the bone
were flakes of stone. All the funding agencies were beside themselves until the
Uranium Thorium date came back at about 20,000 years ago. No carbon survived
in the bone. No one would publish the data and all attempts to discuss it at
professional conferences were met with scorn, ridicule and laughter. Emma Lou
Davis self published some of that material, but no academic journal would touch
it. She passed away in 1988 and her notes are archived in the Matarango Museum
(for inquiring minds).

I keep my copy of Laura Croft #1 slabbed in plastic.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.