HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David Babson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Sep 2005 22:03:11 -0400
Re:  Archaeology, and "the truth"

One tenet of post-processual archaeology has been to present archaeology
as a constructor of narratives about the past, based in a more complete
understanding of the past that includes evidence and people either
ignored by written history, unavailable to historians, unrecorded, or
existing from a time "before" history (written documents which have
survived and which can be read).  In historical archaeology in the US,
we have seen the vast utility of this approach, especially as it has
opened up study of groups of Wolf's "people without history," such as
Africans enslaved on plantations, immigrants, members of the working
class, women, children and many others.  This is an approach of central
use to archaeology.

Yet, at much the same time, we have also seen a similar approach in
construction of narratives be used as part of a system of government.
The United States invaded Iraq to find weapons of mass destruction,
failing that, to create democracy, failing that--perhaps the next
narrative has yet to be written.  We've seen how well faith-based levees
work in New Orleans, and we've seen government scramble to come up with
a narrative that will explain away its failings at all levels, and let
politicians off the hook.  Part of this is the normal human process of
trying to comprehend great misfortune as a means to mitigate and survive
it, and part of this process has been suborned by incompetents who wish
to escape blame for great destruction, a destruction which, to date,
includes at least two cultural treasures of world-wide significance, the
archaeological heritage of Iraq, and the city of New Orleans.

In his recent book "Collapse," Jared Diamond stated that one of the
advantages present societies have, over the past societies whose ends or
complete transformations he discusses, is that we have archaeologists,
among others, who can point out past mistakes, try to define
similarities with present conditions, and offer guidance toward
avoidance of similar fates.  So, some questions:

Do we do this through creating alternate narratives to those advanced by
failed or failing governments, or do we do this by pointing out the
truth?  Can, or should, we present an alternate narrative AS the truth?

Can we arrive at, and have people accept, difficult truths, with,
perhaps, much less in the way of resources and talent than is available
to our potential opponents (e.g. Karl Rove)?

Can we do this when the popular perception of our profession (as
discussed here) is that we are treasure hunters who swing through the
trees looking for loot, and fighting bad guys?

Can we determine the truth, at all, and is this something that
archaeology should pursue?

I think this is something we should discuss, and I think the stakes are
much, much higher than they were just a few years ago.

D. Babson.