HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David Babson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Mar 2005 15:26:21 -0500
Off the top of my head, I think the classic "catchment area" (this is
not the right term) for a 19th century agricultural town with
dirt-surfaced roads and animal-powered transportation (horseback,
buggies, wagons) has a 10-15 mile radius, at the outside.  This distance
would, of course, apply more exactly in Christaller's concept of a
featureless plain, but be dependant upon topography and local historical
development in an actual place.

D. Babson.