HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David Babson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Mar 2005 14:18:25 -0500
By 1850-1870, you have a technological factor to consider.  Were the
people you are studying traveling by foot or with animal-powered
transportation, or by rail?  If on foot/with animal power, they were
probably making less than 20 miles a day, much less, if they were not
traveling on an improved road.  By rail, they could move 100-200 miles a
day (on a mid-19th century railroad, probably closer to 100 than 200
miles), on days that they were moving, not sitting in a yard, etc.
Stopping and waiting would need to be figured into either mode of
travel.

D. Babson.