HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Tue, 7 Dec 2004 12:08:22 -0500
Virgil raises an important point with regard to working in damp, musty wells,
and that is wearing breathing apparatus and a body suit to completely
separate the digger from the work environment. The environment in wells undoubtedly
is not good for human lungs. I can think of any number of fungi, molds, mildew,
hanta virus, bacteria, or larger organisms like flukes that could invade the
human body. In addition to inserting a corrugated sleave to protect the digger
from wall collapse, you probably would want the digger to wear an enclosed
industrial body suit (hazardous materials suit) that pumps fresh cool air
inside, sturdy gloves that cannot be penetrated by broken glass or jagged metal, and
a small oxygen bottle for emergencies. No food or drink should be ingested
down there, unless it is rigged inside the body suit. If you try to pump fresh
air down in the well, the change in atmosphere could adversely affect the
homeostasis and the resulting imbalance could result in rotting plants and animal
matter. All in all, you really have to be careful and have an environmental and
escape plan. I suggest talking to a mining company for ideas.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.