From:
Richard Pennycuick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jan 1999 13:40:54 +1100
I've been following this thread with some interest and have consequently
become increasingly disabused of that notion many listers probably have,
owning your very own record store.

Don Satz wondered how to enhance interest and demand for the Wagner operas.
This reminded me of a story from some years ago concerning Radio Luxembourg
(or something like it) which usually played pop music but as an experiment
interpolated Vivaldi flute concertos (or cello concertos, or whatever) with
about the same frequency as it would play the current top pop song.  The
record sold in vast numbers.  This may all be apocryphal but given that pop
music seems to sell because of repetition, there may be more than a grain
of truth in it.  However, don't imagine we could reach the point where sets
of Parsifal are walking out the door.

BTW, Klaus Heymann, Naxos Man himself, has a most interesting letter in
the February Gramophone, not least because of his address - New Zealand!

Richard Pennycuick