From:
Mitch Friedfeld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 1999 07:15:03 -0500
Donald Satz wrote:

>Over 200 college educated folks at work, and only two of us are classical
>music lovers.  (snipped) I think the folks in my building are a good
>example of how there can be no significant increase in classical music fans
>unless the definition of classical music changed dramatically.  They mainly
>like pop and country music and will have none of that "boring" and "stuffy"
>music that I like.

Maybe some discreet probing would help.  I work in an office where for a
substantial portion of the staff a college education is required (not that
a college education guarantees that a person will like CM; and vice versa:
one does not need a college education to enjoy CM).  There are a few CM
devotees who are willing to come out of the closet.  But whenever someone
wonders why I have, say, the Bartok quartets playing (out of earshot of
anyone else, I add), I try to change the subject.  My musical likes are
just too personal.  I would discuss this only with my wife and a few very
close friends.  Oh yes, and with several thousand people on the Internet.
Maybe some of your colleagues are inhibited?

>There was a co-worker who had expressed an interest in the Brandenberg
>Concertos and asked for my advice.  The next time I saw him I asked if he
>had purchased a set.  He replied that he decided to get the "greatest hits"
>of the Carpenters; this man has two Masters Degrees and a PHD.

The mind reels.

Mitch Friedfeld