ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Stuart Kohlhagen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 2007 13:14:17 +1100

Its not the size of the playground, but the size of the impact which is
the most important measure, if we biuld a bigger one next year, it would
have no effect on the value of yours....

But to answer your question.. If you see science parks as the same as
science playgrounds
Then the Clore garden of Science in Isreal is about 1-1.5 hectares (
10-15,000 sq Meters) around the 100-120,000 sq ft.

Monshire Museum vermont has a great outdoor science park of a similar
scale, but less intensely populated than the Clore.

Ontario Science centre is nearing redevelopment of its outdoor science
park/playground, and it would be around 50,000 sq ft when complete.

The Huntington Botanic garden Pasadena ( 100 acres plus) has 20,000 sq
ft childrens garden with great interactives ( mostly by Ned kahn) which
links to a bigger 30,000 sqtf educational/interactive filled green
house...

Heruka ( Finland) has a large outdoor science park/play ground you
should check ( I don't have its actual size, but it would be around
70-100,000 sqft

And Tom Tits Experiment - Sodertalia Sweden has a great science park
whith a nature theme that would be around 50,000 sqft

The edan project ( cornwall UK) covers many acres, with interactives,
sculpture,plus  greenhouses and pavillions with more interactives.

Herstmonceux has a significant collection of outdoor exhibits, spread
around the observatory, and has been recently revamped.

You can find a lot of info regarding these and other projects at
http://www.ecsite-uk.net/news/ecsite/ecsite_newsletter_63_summer_2005.pd

These would be amongst the biggest

Hope this helps.

Stuart Kohlhagen