ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Joe Ruggiero <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 15 Feb 2006 10:56:34 -0700

Hello Kitty,

With these lenses in the public's hands you have almost got to count on
replacing them from time to time as gunk and scratches are just the
nature of the environment. As such, there's almost no need to worry too
much about how you clean as long as you don't do something really
bizarre. You're not going to care for these things like a laboratory might.

If you want to be a little more careful there are some basics. Generally
you don't want to douse the complex lens systems of an eyepiece with too
much liquid that can then seep down into the spaces between the lenses.
The liquid will carry any dissolved eyeball and finger grease down in
there were it eventually re-congeal, spoiling the relative sanctity on
the intra lens spaces.

Carefully blow lose junk off the surface and, if you have to, brush the
major chunks off with a very gentle sweep of a static control brush. Use
100% cotton Qtips or 100% cotton balls - be careful here. Some of brands
contain stuff other than cotton. Don't use lens cleaning tissue and
don't use anything intended for contact lenses. Use isopropyl alcohol,
which usually has a small % of distilled water. Don't use rubbing
alcohol. If things are really gunky you could also use a mild solution
of Dawn dishwashing detergent, rinsing with distilled water.

The use of distilled water is important. Any minerals dissolved in your
tap water will solidify on your lenses as the water dries and be very
difficult to remove.

Not too much liquid and not too much pressure - gentle- is the key
phrase. If you can, work on the lenses upside down so liquid is not
encouraged to run down, into the lenses. Don't reuse a Qtip. And sop up
the excess liquid with the end of a Qtip as well.

Check the internet for other, perhaps more qualified instructions.

Joe R
www.TheExhibitGuys.com