HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 15 Nov 2006 21:43:57 -0800
Friends and colleagues: Many Native American groups in North America are
working hard to reconnect with a cultural legacy that was nearly lost.  A
case in point is conveyed by Reclaiming Our Heritage: The Monacan Indian
Nation of Virginia, the latest video feature on our nonprofit
streaming-media Web site, The Archaeology Channel
(http://www.archaeologychannel.org).

The story of the Monacan People, from pre-history to the present, is finally
told in this documentary produced and edited by Sharon Bryant, a member of
the Monacan Indian Nation.  Monacan traditions link to the archaeological
record and include the tale of Amoroleck, the first Monacan to confront the
English settlers, and his prophetic words to Capt. John Smith.  Later
history reflects the systemic disenfranchisement of the Monacans, along with
other Indian peoples of Virginia, and their recent triumph in gaining
official state recognition.

This and other programs are available on TAC for your use and enjoyment.  We
urge you to support this public service by participating in our Membership
(http://www.archaeologychannel.org/member.html) and Underwriting
(http://www.archaeologychannel.org/sponsor.shtml) programs.  Only with your
help can we continue and enhance our nonprofit public-education and
visitor-supported programming.  We also welcome new content partners as we
reach out to the world community.

Please forward this message to others who may be interested.

Richard M. Pettigrew, Ph.D., RPA
President and Executive Director
Archaeological Legacy Institute
http://www.archaeologychannel.org

Ready for the world's first international mobile film festival celebrating
the creative potential of today's youth? Check out Mobile Jam Fest for your
a chance to WIN $10,000! www.mobilejamfest.com