HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Norma Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Nov 2006 10:23:10 -0600
Between Ponce de Leon (1521) and Menendez (1565) in La Florida was the
short-lived settlement of Lucas Vazquez de Allyon established in 1526
somewhere on the Georgia or South Carolina coast (current scholarship names
Georgia's Sapelo Sound area) which included African slaves among the 600 or
so settlers.

See Jane Landers, 1992 in "Columbus and the Land of Ayllon" or Paul Hoffman,
1990, "A New Andalucia and a Way to the Orient." for more on the Ayllon
colony.

Norma Harris
Univ of West Florida