HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
David Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 10 Nov 2006 21:42:39 -0800
Friends and colleagues: Very few people remain who can still remember the
way of life established by Euro-American settlers more than a century ago in
the remote corners of North America.  Remembering those times is the subject
of Proving Up and Settling Down: Stories of Life in Hells Canyon, the latest
video feature on our nonprofit streaming-media Web site, The Archaeology
Channel (http://www.archaeologychannel.org).

The basalt cliffs of Hells Canyon have witnessed the ebb and flow of Native
American tribes, trappers, miners, and homesteaders as each has left a mark
on America's deepest river gorge.  This film brings Hells Canyon to life
through the accounts of historians; Horace Axtell, a descendent of Chief
Joseph's band of the Nez Perce; and early Hells Canyon residents, Violet
Wilson, Ace Barton and Joe Jordan.  These old-timers share stories of work
and family, isolation and ingenuity, and a deep respect for the canyon they
called home in the first half of the 20th Century.

This and other programs are available on TAC for your use and enjoyment.  We
urge you to support this public service by participating in our Membership
(http://www.archaeologychannel.org/member.html) and Underwriting
(http://www.archaeologychannel.org/sponsor.shtml) programs.  Only with your
help can we continue and enhance our nonprofit public-education and
visitor-supported programming.  We also welcome new content partners as we
reach out to the world community.

Please forward this message to others who may be interested.

Richard M. Pettigrew, Ph.D., RPA
President and Executive Director
Archaeological Legacy Institute
http://www.archaeologychannel.org

Ready for the world's first international mobile film festival celebrating
the creative potential of today's youth? Check out Mobile Jam Fest for your
a chance to WIN $10,000! www.mobilejamfest.com