HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"K. Kris Hirst" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Sep 2006 08:03:47 -0500

Patti (and anybody else interested)

There are several photo sharing places on the Internet these days, and in
particular Flickr has well over a thousand photos of archaeological
excavations. Just this last season there was an explosion of excavation
photos appearing here. Some of them (but not most) are released under
Creative Commons or GNU licenses (i.e., with explicit descriptions on your
ability to download and use them), but I imagine if you contacted them you
could obtain permission to use a copyrighted image on the SAA webpage.

http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=all&q=excavations+archaeology&m=text

Wessex Archaeology and Catalhoyuk have both created publicly available photo
collections, Wessex in particular is really a fabulous source for photos of
all kinds of field work in action, while Catalhoyuk is great for information
about current work there:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wessexarchaeology/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/catalhoyuk/

More typical is Mark Walker's Ludlow collection
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mkwalker/sets/279645/

There are several other photo sharing sites, but Flickr is my favorite.

Kris

K. Kris Hirst
About Archaeology
http://archaeology.about.com
www.About.com

About.com is part of The New York Times Company