HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Sat, 29 Apr 2006 12:15:52 -0400

In a message dated 4/29/2006 7:11:34 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

basically using the technology of casting I think in
the ground  around a mold, as used in cannon production, to make
cylindrical posts for  the building of multi-floor buildings in NYC and
elsewhere. They looked  sort of like steel pipe with end joins

George Myers raised an interesting point on technology that has puzzled me
for a number of years. The 1904 vintage Colonial Revival barracks at U.S. Army
Fort Rosecrans present rows of steel posts on the wrap around porches. During
 renovation in 1998, I monitored and photographed the interior as drywall and
 other inappropriate materials were removed from inside the walls and we
found  the entire three-story structure stood on those cast iron posts. To support
 modern elevators and other technical equipment, some of those posts were
removed  and replaced by modern structural steel. The California State Historic
Preservation Office required preservation of the removed posts and we
relocated  them to a Sea Bees storage area in a 1915 vintage mortar battery uphill. I
had  an opportunity to examine those posts closely and noted the interior was
rough  cast metal. Now I see the kind of casting technology described by
George could  have created those posts. At the time, I treated the monitoring,
documenting,  and storage of structural parts just like an archaeological study
and filed a  report with the U.S. Navy.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.

After the Civil War, they made cast iron building columns at the West Point Foundry, basically using the technology of casting I think in the ground around a mold, as used in cannon production, to make cylindrical posts for the building of multi-floor buildings in NYC and elsewhere. They looked sort of like steel pipe with end joins. A small locomotive (the West Point Foundry built the first locomotive in the US for Georgia timber trade, and also sugar boilers, one still in Puerto Rico, and other machinery) that used to run on NYC elevated railroad (before they were electrified) fell to the street in a elevated structure fire and was bought and used in the West Point Foundry in Cold Spring, NY. As part of the cast-iron building construction it was probably important in architectural history. On the side, someone thought of joining these "tubes" together and since Nobel had invented dynamite, using them as an experimental gun after the Civil War. The so-called "dynamite gun" was put on a barge in the Hudson River and fired a wooden projectile up river 2 1/2 (?) miles perhaps ushering in a new way for humanity to kill. A similar weapon was reputed to have been invented in the state of Vermont back in the early 1990's where it was tested. It's inventor was perhaps assassinated on the streets of Amsterdam, Holland ("Time" magazine) while we were working in the archaeology of the Foundry Cove and so-called "Workers Houses". Various claims have been in the press about it's interception on the way to Libya and Iraq almost a barometer of belligerence. There are other later weapons in stereo-pair photos, along with the "dynamite gun" in the West Point Foundry Schoolhouse Museum that may or may not have been connected with succeeding manufacturers on the site.