HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Rich Green <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Apr 2006 09:11:10 -0400
I'll be happy to put sarcasm aside and restate my point.

The original discussion was about the organized Civil War relic hunts taking place legally on private property.  Thus the subject title of the original article "Individual rights and relic hunting: Thorny issues".  This subject matter (and the relic hunters who are involved) have little to do with illegal drug production.

Two parts of Ron's statement are troublesome.  First, to suggest that law enforcement can make a dent in drug smuggling or drug production by some artifact collecting back door is utterly ridiculous.  Federal law enforcement continues to be almost completely ineffective in stemming the tide of illegal drugs across our borders.  Local police are even more inept.  Occasionally, they stumble upon some of the meth labs, and usually only if an informant takes them to it.  These crimes are not prosecuted with vigor, the criminals pay fines or are placed on probation and the illegal activity continues relatively unabated.  I'm sure that it is entirely possible that some of these criminals may be collectors, but what has this to do with the original topic?  The original discussion thread has essentially been hijacked for a tangential discussion that makes no positive contribution to the original topic.  Unless, of course, the purpose is to intimate that collectors have criminal propensities.

Perhaps more importantly, there were some very well thought out comments by individuals on the list who were attempting to find ways of bridging the gap between honest people, relic hunters and collectors who aren't undertaking any illegal activity of any kind.  It is these people the archaeologists in these regions of the country need to reach. Some of the negative suggestions and comments found elsewhere in this thread, illegal drug connection included, only serve to widen the gap. Obviously, it isn't going to be possible to reach criminals with logic and compromise...well because, they are criminals.(sorry more sarcasm slipped in)

I happen to know some of the participants of these relic hunts personally and have, from time to time, hired some of them to work on projects.  These people come from all walks of life: business owners, publishers, lawyers, clergy, blue and white collar alike.  The majority are just regular folk, honest and hard working with disdain for illegal activity of any kind.  Are there some bad apples in the barrel who would be willing to trespass or pursue their hobby unethically?  I'm sure of it.  Drug dealers or meth producers?  Remotely possible, but I doubt it.  The so-called bad apples are a function of the human race. They exist across the board, and certainly not more predominantly in this group of people who are interested in collecting artifacts.  The archaeological community is not immune, but then this is another topic for another discussion thread.

When these organized, legal relic hunting events started back in the mid 90's, I knew there would eventually be problems and that the answer from some would be to ostracize or demonize these people, or that "Let's make this illegal" would be the resounding solution.  This always seems to be the answer from the more liberal minded who really don't believe in the concept of private property rights.  These sort of laws usually don't pass through the legislative branches (unless no one is watching).  And, even if lawmakers do make this sort of behavior technically illegal, the laws remain relatively unknown and unheard of by the general public.  Surely no one believes an obscure artifact collecting law will stop John Q. Public from allowing the relic hunters on HIS property.

I submit that if legal means could have any effect at all, they would only serve to weed out the honest people, perhaps reducing for a short time the overall number of relic hunters and collectors.  And of course, we are then right back to the question of competent law enforcement when the criminal element in search of black market artifacts subsequently fills the void.

I sure hope to hear more positive comments and suggestions along the lines of better communication and understanding between archaeologists and collectors as applied to individual rights and relic hunting.

Regards,

Rich Green
Historic Archaeological Research
4338 Hadley Court