From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Jan 2006 17:22:43 -0800
Hello All,

Quite a variety of AHB threads to choose from this
month!  I counted I think 12, I apologize if  I
counted  a few AFB threads as AHB threads which they
tend to look like AHB on my computer screen.  That
seems to suggest it really is hard to identify AHB
just by looking.  Anyhow, I picked this thread as it
seems to match my letter the most.

This year I removed a small colony of bees from a
traffic cone here in SW PA.  But I happened to just
recently come across this link below that shows a
photo of an AHB queen.  The queen from the swarm looks
remarkably similar to the one in this link.
Especially noticeable were the bright wide / thick
looking legs, slightly smaller over all size, and a
peculiar low walking stance, and also the terigets
seemed well defined but in the context of a single
color abdomen as in the photo.

My question is:

If each race of honeybee queen is distinguishable by a
certain set of characteristics, then would that be the
case with the AHB queen also?

http://www.ars.usda.gov/is/AR/archive/mar04/bees0304.htm

Best Regards,
Joe