ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Matthew White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Oct 2007 21:19:36 -0400

I find this conversation interesting and I hope it continues. Reading
the messages all in one sitting, some things strike me.

1. I am not sure we are all using the word or concept "certification"
in the same way. Beryl originally meant it (and please correct me if
I am wrong) it to mean an academic award received after completing a
series of courses or demonstrating proficiency in an area. Many
universities have a museum studies certificate program. You major in
an a traditional area such as history, biology, art etc and you take
additional coursework to get a museum certificate. It is an addition
or a focussing of the graduate degree, but there is no MA program in
Museum Studies as a stand alone subject area. To answer Charlie's
questions about what is provided, typically certification programs
provide skills or practical experience to augment a more academic
program of study for fields that need both. You do all the work for
the traditional degree, but then get skills in museum studies,
archival work, accounting, etc etc.

  This is completely different than what they do across that street
at the School of Education when they talk of certification. When one
receives a teacher certification, this is, for all intents and
purposes a license to teach. This is typically awarded by the state
here in America, not the university. (although there are various
agreements in various states where getting one almost automatically
gets you the other, minus any qualifying exams, background checks etc.)

I support Beryl's use of the concept of certificate (assuming I am
right) but am totally against museums or science centers being
required to certify their staff through some sort of licensing
bureaucracy.

2. I think it is curious that what started as a question about
baseline skills and knowledge for an informal educator became a
discussion of what makes a good classroom teacher. While there are
similarities and many people go from one to the other, they are
ultimately different careers. I find the confusing of the two more
prevalent in science than in other subjects.  Most people I know in
the history museum field see themselves as distinctly museum
educators and very few people move between the two. Why this is would
be another excellent discussion, but you don't see it in other fields.

Have a good day,

Matt