ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carey Tisdal <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2007 09:20:49 -0500

Phil,

As part of the NSF's ITEST project, the Illinois State Museum and the Center
for American Archeology offer the Museum Tech Academy. Bonnie Styles is the
PI on this and Beth Shea and Mary Pirkel the Co-PIs. This is a inquiry and
project-based learning program and the young people are using a range of
applications and digital tools (i.e., word processing, image manipulation,
3D modeling).  They have focused on using open-source software so the teens
(grades 7-12) have access to the programs after they leave the program. The
technology skills and knowledge are embedded in archeaology and natural
sciences content. They are managing this after-school and summer program
using Moodle. They have many technology-based modules developed for it.
Here is the MTA project description.

http://www2.edc.org/itestlrc/projects/youthbased/MuseumTech_il.asp

In other ITEST programs the content is more tied to the engineering focus.
The ITEST program has a number of youth-based program of the type you are
describing. Here is a link to that site.

http://www2.edc.org/itestlrc/

All these projects have evaluation reports that would allow you to see what
works and what doesn't. This might be a good source for you.

Best Regards,

Carey

Carey E. Tisdal
Tisdal Consulting