ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Jim Call <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2006 05:31:34 -0800

A very positive thing -- for all of us at the science
centers: we've got SO much to work with.  There is so
much we can do now.

Try censoring all of us from teaching science.

In getting education on global warming out to the kids
and public, there are now many films. Definitely,
there's An Inconvenient Truth.  But there's also HBO's
special, PBS shows, Discovery Channel (actually a
really good special), TGW .. even the Blue Man Group
for some serious fun.

Even better for what we do-- giving people a social
experience that they can't get just watching a film or
surfing the internet... we've got exhibits, hands-on
science demonstrations, curriculum, k12 outreach.
Involving, living, help the world science.

Teknikens Hus, AMNH, Science on a Sphere, the Global
Warming Discovery hands on demonstration, the IGLO
Toolkit, Koshland, The Climate Change Show, Carbo
Schools -- beautiful material.

We're being offered help and resources from no less
than NCAR, NASA, NOAA, the IPCC, IPY and the American
Association for the Advancement of Science. Funders
are now ASKING us how they can help, including
corporations.

Thankfully, we have the ASTC -- including this
listserv.  We're sharing, learning from each other.
Pooling resources, not all going it alone.

===============

As docents and volunteers, who have specialized on
global warming education for the last six years, we
aim to continue doing our small part.  Our websites
are there for you -- science museum staff. (And, yeah,
the tens of thousands of teachers and students who
visit us each month too.) We're putting up climate
change education resources as fast as we can.
Promoting partnerships.  Please use us as a resource,
and keep telling us what we we're lacking.
And for those of you who care to -- we could use your
help.

For Films, TV, videos:
http:// climatechangeeducation.org/tv.html

Specifically for & about science centers:
http:// globalwarmingmuseum.net

[remove space after http:// above to make links
usable]

================

To me, it's important that An Inconvenient Truth be
seen by a wide audience.  The attempts to block its
wide distribution are very revealing.

I also hope we can promote many men and women as
teachers of global warming science.  There are plenty
of wonderful scientists and educators among us,
although none with the celebrity of a former vice
president.

Even more, I hope we can instill in the public a sense
that science is theirs; that they are active
participants in it. What they do with science matters.

We at the science centers have the opportunity to do
that better than anyone.

As NASA's Jim Hansen stresses, we must bridge the vast
gap between what scientists know and the what the
public understands.

Things are much easier than just a few years ago. We
are no longer skating on thin ice careerwise to teach
climate change science.

Let's start demonstrating our moves.

--Jim Callahan, Editor ... and science center docent

http:// climatechangeeducation.org