ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Matthew White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2006 08:41:05 -0500

Eric
See another post to address the Podcast issue.

As for the library v. museum vis a viz being free, I have always felt
this was a bit of a red herring. (Full disclosure: I have not read
the referenced article and may be repeating what it said. If so I
apologize)  I have worked at museums that do not charge admission and
ones that do. trust me. The public ALWAYS pays. It might be an
obvious entry fee or hidden in local, state, or federal taxes, but
the public pays for it somehow. Libraries, too. The issue isn't
whether or not an educational institution like a library or museum is
free or not, it is HOW it collects the money from their users to stay
open. Historically, libraries have been more successful in convincing
local populations and their governments to support them collectively
through taxes than museums have.  I think this probably has to do
with the still widespread perception of libraries as more populist
institutions than museums coupled with the tendency of museum's to
have more and larger burdens on their budgets that the public either
doesn't see or is not obvious like artifact preservation, collections
management, exhibition construction and maintenance etc.

I know there are a host of nuances here and that there are
institutions, libraries and museums, that have large enough
endowments to both not charge admission and not use public money as a
part of the general operating budget, but these are very rare.

I also admit that the question of how Libraries have been able to
convince localities to fund them collectively rather than
individually was precisely the question that Eric and possibly Elaine
was trying to get at. But having worked in museums that charged
admission within an hour of Smithsonian museums that don't, I have
taken a lot of guff from visitors who complain and wonder why we
can't be free like them. The disconnect in people's minds between
taxes and services is a pet peeve, and it is there this discussion
should start.

Have a great day,

Matthew White
Director, Hands On Science Center