ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Eric Siegel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Mar 2006 06:05:16 -0500

Podcasts are intrinsically non-social receptive media, meant
for....ipods, think earbuds.  There is nothing to prevent a museum
from doing podcasts of current science, which might be useful for
some and would forward the mission of the science center, but it will
not be used on the exhibition floor or at the museum.   That said, I
think we should accommodate all the ways in which people learn,
including reading, listening, and watching. Not everything we do has
to be interactive and inquiry based.  I am kind of fascinated by how
popular and important libraries are in America, they are seen as a
(maybe *the only* ) critical part of the free choice learning
infrastructure of the US.  I have been thinking what and how we can
learn from them?  Elaine Gurian made the point in a recent article in
Museum News, I think it was, that museums should be free to the
public.  How have libraries managed to do that and still thrive?

I have found a charming podcast about a "cityslicker's" climb to base
camp three on everest www.everestpodcast.com

Eric Siegel
Executive VP
    Programs and Planning