ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Amanda Chesworth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Amanda Chesworth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Mar 2006 17:04:32 -0500

This is amazingly WILD!!! (it may be old news for some... my husband just
played it for me, telling me he had originally read about it in a New
Scientist issue at least a couple of years ago.)

http://faculty.washington.edu/jcramer/BBSound.html

Go down to the 3rd paragraph from the bottom (before the New Scientist
questions.) You can listen to what the Big Bang may have sounded like!!! Do
the 100 second version.. the others sound nowhere near as good and it was
specifically designed for 100 seconds:

"The simulation lasts 100 seconds representing the first 760 thousand years
of evolution of the universe, and varies the sound intensity to match the
cosmic microwave.."

It's right out of a Dr. Who episode.. I *love* it!!!

And this scientist's quest all began with a child asking "I wonder what the
Big Bang sounded like?"

This sound, and how its production all began from A QUESTION, should be one
of the "top 10" stories we tell to show why inquiry is so wonderful and so
necessary.

Amanda

***
Amanda Chesworth, Educational Director
Committee for the Scientific Investigation of Claims of the Paranormal
www.csicop.org
Inquiring Minds Program
www.inquiringminds.org
Skeptical Inquirer Magazine