ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Martha Griffin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Mar 2006 11:49:20 -0600

I am posting this for my friend, Vanessa Westbrook who sent this to me in an email:
ASTC institution members may be coming to NSTA in Anaheim, and might be interested in participating in the Thursday evening event which focuses on the great informal science providers we have in  the U.S. We are doubling the number of table spaces from last year (24 to 48) to accommodate more informal science providers. Last year event drew 1800 NSTA conference attendees. That was the largest number of attendees at one event during the conference. We expect more this year!

Our annual Informal Division Event will be Thursday, April 6th  6:00  7:00 PM
Arena, Anaheim Convention Center
Share-a-thon (6-7 pm), Main Event (7- 8:30 pm), Reception (8:30-10 pm)

If you have or know of an informal group who might like to share their wares at one of our tables, please contact   Vanessa Westbrook   [log in to unmask]
Deadline to request a table for the event is March 27, 2006.

Hello everyone,
Its that time of year again! The NSTA national conference will be Anaheim, Ca., and once again Informal Science is planning its annual "Shin-Dig". You may have already received information from NSTA ISE Director, Steve Jacobs, regarding activities sponsored by the ISE Committee. I would like to provide details about one of the events.

The share-a-thon will have a similar flair to last year's Dallas event. Tables will be set-up in the back section of the arena so that ISE Share-a-Thon attendees can engage in activities set-up by each of you. Special entertainment has also been arranged as we did last year. This year's event will be based on a popular game show with great prizes for educators in the audience.

We invite you to have some type of hands-on investigation for the participants to engage in; this can include but not limited to chemistry, physics, biology, marine science, biochemistry, etc.. One institution's contact mentioned that they will have the  participants create working circuits with random electrical parts. Another institution mentioned that its investigation will have participants create critters for designated environments. What will be your investigation, your area of science, your draw for the participants? Will the attendees get goodies, prizes, awards, classroom set, take-home investigative kits from your table?

Please supply everything that you need for your table. in addition to the hands-on investigation you will provide for the attendees, consider being printed materials about your institution. Teachers love to reference where they received a great experience and /or resource.

I will be preparing a program for the share-a-thon. If you would like certain information about your institution, your hands-on investigation, etc. please send a description for the program. Keep your info to 100 words or less. Currently, the program will have your institution name and address, the website, and you as a contact.

If you have questions, please contact Vanessa Westbrook at [log in to unmask]

Martha Griffin
Associate Director - Education and Programs
The Health Museum
THE JOHN P. MCGOVERN MUSEUM OF HEALTH & MEDICAL SCIENCE
1515 Hermann Drive
Houston, Texas 77004 - 7126
Phone: 713-942-7054, ext. 119
Fax: 713-942-7055