ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carey Tisdal <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 19 Dec 2005 15:12:06 -0600

Maria,

Lorrie Beaumont does a very good workshop at VSA about interviewing younger
children, and she really is the one to ask on that. My opinion is that you
are better doing one-on-one interviews with children under 7 or 8. But
others may disagree.

I have done focus groups that were productive with children between 8 and
17, and here are some guidelines I would suggest.

Remember you need parental consent before the visit to interview kids.

Organize groups in the age cohorts of two or three years so that you have
groups of somewhat similar developmental level. Read and understand the
child development theory so you have a good conceptual framework through
which to interpret their answers.  Children really aren't just "little
adults." They are moving through some important developmental tasks, and
those tasks shape their responses.  Age cohorts I have found that work would
be:

7--8
9--11
12--13 young adolescents
14--15 mid-adolscents
16--17 later adolescents

Consider the location--if you conduct these in an area of high stimulation,
such as a gallery or classrooms with a lot of neat stuff, the younger
children will respond as much to those items as to your questions or
stimulus materials (e.g. objects, pictures, models).

Think about what you want to ask outloud--remember that answering
right/wrong content questions is potentially embarassing in focus groups,
even for adults. Asking questions about "What you think about. . ?" and
"What you remember from . . . " and "What did you do . . . ?" work better in
focus groups. If you want to assess content consider drawing pictures, using
concept maps, or one-on-interviews.

Having something for everyone to do as people arrive sets a good
tone--making their own table name cards and decorating it, drawing a picture
of their first museum visit, etc. That way they are looking for "doing
something with you" all through the time period and you have them busy and
interested right away.

Carefully explain the "rules of the road" -- only one person to talk at
once, wait for me to give you to go ahead, no wrong answers, and be polite.

Make sure the first question that calls for a oral response is something
everyone knows and requires several sentences to answer. This establishes a
"long answer" response set. For example, "Tell me about your favorite thing
to do after school." Jot these down. It lets you personalize questions as
the group continues, e.g. "Michelle, you said you ride your bike in the
park. What things did you see today that remind you of the park?"

Make sure it is not "all talk" -- plan the focus group in short segments
(start at 15 minute units for younger groups and gradually move up with
their age and attention span with longer segments). Use stimulus materials
and activities. For example--responding to pictures or models, drawing a
picture, drawing a concept map (if they already know how to do this--it
takes practice). Remember in all but the oldest of the groups above, these
young people are not dealing with abstract concepts. One of the things I
have found is to be very clear about context--yes, even younger children can
and will respond to artifacts but they need to have a context for the
response.  I have had good success with teenagers drawing pictures--they
loved it.

They love to be listened too so remember to keep your eye-contact right on
the speaker with lots of positive reinforcement for response--but staying
neutral on the content of their answer. I take notes--even if I am audio
recording because I want to remember important comments and it communicates
that what they are saying is interesting and important.

Have fun, but take them seriously. They will have some very thoughtful and
meaningful things to say.

Hope that's not too general, but those are things that occur to me right
away. I think these focus groups can be absolutely fascinating--but 45
minutes is the max for little ones and an hour and a quarter for the oldest
groups.

Carey

Tisdal Consulting
St. Louis, MO