ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Ian Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jun 2005 16:25:42 +0100

At 15:09 02/06/2005, Martin Weiss wrote:
>As far as I am aware Darwin said little if anything about the origin of
>life on Earth.

My copy of The Origin of Species is the 6th edition, 1872. In the
concluding sentence Darwin writes,

"There is grandeur in this view of life, with its several powers, having
been originally breathed by the Creator into a few forms or into one; and
that, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of
gravity, from so simple a beginning, endless forms most beautiful and most
wonderful have been, and are being evolved."

I can imagine how slowly and carefully Darwin penned these words. This is a
feeble kind of deist apologetics, but it is important to acknowledge that
he wrote it.

This is exactly the same, shrinking, deist view of god underlying the
various species of militant creationism: a god who can only inhabit the
gaps in scientific knowledge. Which is why the gaps are being defended so
fiercely.

[log in to unmask] * http://www.interactives.co.uk
*
Give people facts and you feed their minds for an hour.
Awaken curiosity and they feed their own minds for a lifetime.
*
Ian Russell