From:
Alexa Butterworth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Jan 1999 21:26:39 +0000
I know that loads has already been said about audience noises during
performances, but as a performer up here in Scotland (the cold and flu
capital!!) there was a time last season, when the audience coughs and
sneezes etc.  were literally intolerable.  Our Chief Executive just after
the interval went on stage and though sympathising with the inflicted,
asked if they would possibly stifle them as much as possible for the
performers and other audience members.  Et voila!!  the 2nd half was
virtually silent.  So it IS possible for people to be more restraint.
And I totally agree with Thanh-Tam Le, Julia Werthimer, and certainly Mark
Shanks, that the performers, and especially soloists, work very hard to
provide the highest standards, and (I personally think) should be rewarded
with a little more respect.  It CAN be done!!  I don't mean to sound
condescending but it just seems so rude to interrupt so loudly!!  One funny
note though, was during the current Scottish ballet tour, last week in
Aberdeen, during Cinderella, the dew-fairies male dancers came on stage,
and a very little girl in the front row stood up and yelled "You can see
their BOTTOMS through their clothes!" It made our night!!!

Alexa B